Sunday, September 21, 2008

The power of a Word

Ever since I was a kid I have loved to write. I used to write on anything...notebook paper, tablets, paper napkins....and ahem, the occasional wall or piece of furniture. Thankfully, in spite of my "creations" on the latter, my mom always encouraged me to write. In those short stories and school papers, some of which were written kicking and screaming, she saw talent. Whether that talent was actually there or not, it lifted my spirits to see her smile and receive her praise. Writing and reading I believe, go hand in hand, and I am also a voracious reader. My mom first introduced me to this wonderful old building where anyone with a special green and white card could borrow any amount of books at any time...well, at least between the hours of nine and five. I remember my favorite librarian, Mrs. Stewart, with her dark hair, large glasses, and friendly smile, leading me along row after row of books..it seemed endless. Of course, now, I know our town's library is rather small, but I wouldn't trade it for the world simply because of it's coziness and familiarity. Mrs. Stewart used to recommend books to me that she knew I would enjoy and when she found that I liked to write,she encouraged me to become an author. Between a mom that saw talent and a small-town librarian that believed in me, I was encouraged and felt that if I truly wanted to become an author someday...it was possible. For the kid who always felt like a klutz and that many doors were closed to her, I felt empowered... yes,I could actually be good at something! Ever since, writing is something that I have never stopped doing. I have kept journals since I was nine years old, written short stories, tons of letters, and even came up with a few ideas for books. Talent though, is not really the issue. Anyone can write. You may not be the next C.S.Lewis or Jane Austen, but a letter to a soldier may change his or her day...or life. There is so much power in the written word that is often taken for granted. It was once said that "you will be the same person tomorrow as you were today, except for the books you read and the people that influence you". How true. Words have the power to encourage and inspire, to educate and enlighten, or to hurt and cause despair. Written word is powerful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, very well written Danielle, so true! Keep 'em coming!